View Single Post
      12-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #94
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Helix View Post
Unfortunately we do not make them with the factory couplers but for a very good reason. I do not want to start any sort of argument over this but there is a large air flow restriction when using the stock couplers. Please remember that with our set up you can always revert back to a stock intercooler by simply re-using the clamps that we give you to put the stock 90 degree and straight piping pack on. The removal of the larger silicone piping (Helix) and re-installation of the stock piping (BMW) should only take about 5-10 minutes. I dont know why that process is so disliked as it doesnt take very much time at all. The benefits of replacing those stock couplers, even if you dont fully understand or agree with the restriction, greatly outweighs the time you spend taking them off. Would you spend an extra 5-10 minutes working on your car if you thought it would give you a better end result? I know I would. Nothing is irreversible with our set up.
Alex- I'd have no problem spending the extra 5-10 minutes removing the stock couplers if someone could prove to me that the stock couplers are really that restrictive at the power levels that we are talking about here (<450whp). I agree, there will be a point where they will become a restriction, but are we really there yet? All the dynos that I've seen of cars that have HPF intercoolers are very similiar to cars with Helix/ETS/AMS intercoolers. If there really is a "large restriction" as you say- why aren't we seeing it in the dynos? Has Helix performed some some sort of testing to determine how much flow is gained by removing the stock couplers at the <450whp level?

Again- not trying to start a war here, just trying to get the facts out on the table and separate the "theory" from the actual results people are seeing.

Regards,
Joe
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0