View Single Post
      04-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I picked up a car in Stuttgart last year. For the first three or four days after delivery, the only place I wanted to be was driving that car. We drove to the Swiss Alps for the night. I awoke at 6 the next morning and went for a short drive before my wife woke up. I only stopped for gas and returned 6 hours later to pick her up. I then drove another 5 hr and was not ready to get out of the car. The traffic didn't bother me. It made it easier for me to follow the recommended break in.

Later in the trip, I drove some mountain roads in Italy on a weekend with lots of bikers. I actually found it enjoyable. They knew the roads and were more predictable that drivers here. On one straight, they all slowed down for no reason I could identify. About 1/2 km down the road were a few police just waiting. One was standing on either side of the road with hands on hips and a few were in cars. It was like a scene out of a movie. If it weren't for the bikers, I would likely have been talking to them.

I would recommend getting a good nights sleep and enjoy the mountain roads. The traffic will be good for the break in. I found driving in europe was much easier because the drivers are more predictable.

Your timing sounds perfect to enjoy the autobahn as it should be. Some locals advised me that the time to really enjoy no speed limits is either late at night or early on a Sunday morning. There are no trucks on Sunday and the morning traffic is light. It gave me a chance to really open her up, as they say.

You are going to have the time of your life.

Last edited by AW 1M; 04-28-2011 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0