View Single Post
      02-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
marsel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue 2011 M-sport 135i

I have a 2011 model and would love to know if my car's 6MT was changed to a dry sump lubrication type. That would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
"Newly designed piston rings are used in the engine. The two turbo chargers use turbines made from high tensile steel and will easily withstand temperatures of up to 1000 degrees Celsius."

I highly suspect this is NOT unique for the 1M, since many info reveal that the Z4 35is has the same engine. For example, this article mentions that the Z4 35is turbo can also service 'up to 1000 degrees Celsius and can operate at temperatures above' (it's a Hungarian website, but you can use Google translate to read it):

http://www.bevezetem.hu/cikk/alomsze...-z4-sdrive35is

Another point, since the N54 (340hp version) and N55 are BMW's latest turbo engines, therefore they are new designs, of course they also have newly designed piston rings. Therefore I guess there is nothing new about 1M's engine.

Also for the 6sp MT: even though I can not remember the source, I recall for 2011 model, the 6MT in 135i was changed to a dry sump lubrication type, so I am also very curious whether BMW can officially clarify that the 6MT in 1M is 100% new and shares zero common parts with the 6MT in 2011 135i.
Appreciate 0