11-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #95
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hi Kenny, thanks for sharing the build. It was an interesting read for me as I also had a 135i project which started in 2008. It was quite different back then as not many parts were available and often I become the R&D car. But I had Andrew doing the build for me so it made my life much easier. Also, my car was built as a track car as opposed to a daily driver drag car (haha is there such a thing?), so outright power was not my aim, rather the maximum reliable power was key to me. For example, temperature management with things like a larger custom SBM radiator was subsequently required, and even then I still run into problems if I run any more than 4-5 laps at a time. Other big difference between our builds are LSD (I used Drexler as it is more "hardcore" for the track), big brakes (fully recommend the AP racing one I had!), and wider front to dial out understeer. Will be interesting to see where you end up with this car!
Wayne, thanks for the kid words! I read a lot about your project when I first started looking at E82 135, you were one of my inspirations!

Andrew at Southern BM is total class. He's got a lot of knowledge and is one if those rare people who is happy to help out even if there is no immediate financial benefit in it for him. A real gentleman.

As for LSD and Drexler, that is a future mod. I'll share some photos of the custom made Drexler diff and half shafts assembly I had made for my BMW M Coupe project. The Drexler guys are top notch engineers.

AP Racing are great brake systems too, and if I upgraded the brakes on my E82 I'd go with AP Racing. I'll also share the AP Racing/Brembo brake setup on my M Coupe for interest sake.

Having been in the late model car modding game for some time, I know that it is important to remember what you're trying to achieve with any particular car. This car is my daily driver, and it's never going to be tracked at a circuit. So I don't need bigger brakes or circuit suspension. An LSD on the other hand is a no brainer!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0