View Single Post
      03-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Performance Pedals DIY

This is a pretty easy mod and all you need is a small torx screwdriver, a 7mm wrench and 3/32, 7/64, and 11/64 drill bits. There are only two hard parts....putting the rubber inserts into the aluminum pedals and drilling the last two holes on the footrest...but still they are no big deal.

1. You peel off the rubber pads on the clutch and brake pedals.

2. The new pedals come with sticker templates, but they are off. So only match up the top two holes on the clutch and brake with the template and drill. The clutch is plastic, so you can easily just use the 11/64th bit and insert the screws and nuts. The brake is ridged metal and will require a pilot hole with the 3/32 bit or something smaller to avoid slipping of the ridge. Once the top two are bolted down and slightly tighted. Push on the bottom and drill in place with the 11/64th and bolt them down. Tighten all in a star pattern with a 7mm wrench and torx screwdriver.

3. The gas pedal is drilled and screwed directly to the plastic. No need for the template here. Just line it up nicely with the left edge of the pedal (it will actually overhang slighty to the right, but it looks better and no one will know), hold it in place and drill a hole with the 7/64th bit. Screw it down, and pivot the pedal if needed for a perfect line up and drill and screw the remaining holes.

4. The footrest is the same as the gas pedal. Line up to an edge of your liking and drill and screw the middle hole first. Sit back and pivot as needed until it looks straight, then drill and screw the remaining. The hardest part of this whole job is getting the last two top holes on the footrest. A drill will not fit, so you will either need a Dremel style flex drill hose or like me have to drill it by hand by just twisting the 7/64th bit around and around for 10 minutes. I was then able to screw the top two down with torx bit and a wrench.

This is a very easy mod and immediately makes a huge first impression the second you open the door. The pedals feel great and worth every penny.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0