View Single Post
      04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #32
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVik View Post
Well, I mean I am sure you have the MSRP and the Invoice numbers in front of you. I guess the aero kit is pretty expensive, I don't have the price sheets anymore. When I was purchasing my 128i vs 135i, I think there was like a 5k or 6k price difference between the two, but I didn't get the sport or aero. Now, 6k isn't a lot on a 30k+ car, but with my trade in and everything, the price I would have to pay to upgrade to the 128i was 11k (vs 17k for the 135i), and I figured that an extra 6k wasn't really worth it, since it was almost a 50% increase in cost...

That said, I'm not a high speed kind of person, so I really didn't need the 135i power, the sports package, and I don't like the aero look. To me, 11k vs 17k was a pretty big difference in how much I would really have to pay, especially for things I didn't really need. It also meant that I got to keep some money in the bank, and have it around to put into stocks at what seems like a low point in market (ha, or not).

Also, I've owned the car for 2 weeks now, and I have to say, I feel no remorse going with the 128i. I feel that the car has ample ample power. In fact, I feel it has way more than I need (coming from a 330xi), I can totally do scary things in it. I cringe to think what the 135i would have me doing, I feel I'm way too fast and aggressive already... :-D Definitely no regrets, but I have no plans to race on a track or go more than 10 mph above the speed limit (2 tickets is enough for now). And for passing people, this thing is way more than I need.

That said, I'm like an old man compared to most people my age (28) in how I drive... To me, the biggest satisfying factor when I look at the vehicle is to know what I paid, and what I actually use in terms of features and ability. So I guess I look at the car and am extremely happy with the price and value I feel it has. I know that if I had the 135i, since I don't really go fast or anything and it doesn't fit my personality, I would be asking myself why did I spend an extra 6k for things I don't need. I know at that point I'd talk myself into a 328xi because I feel there is more value at that price of having 4 doors, larger size, all wheel drive, and probably easier resale (larger sedan vs sports vehicle).

Just some food for thought. In the end, if you want something with uncompromised performance, get the 135i over the 128i, otherwise you might have some regrets, knowing that there is another model out there that has way more HP. Or, if you just want to get a car that is comfy, looks great, and kicks ass for a normal commute to work, the 128i will blow your mind.

I look forward to driving to work these days. You will to with either one.
I enjoyed reading that. high five man.
Appreciate 0