View Single Post
      12-30-2016, 12:43 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
My car lags only when I'm not driving it in anger. If I get mad about the lag I just drive harder...problem fixed. Oh the trans does start to lag a shitload on downshifts once you beat it at the track but yeah it gets hot.

Also, lol @ "I've driven cars with conventional manual gearboxes and motos with sequential so I KNOW how an unrelated, completely automated manual with TWO OUTPUT SHAFTS and TWO MILLION LINES OF SOFTWARE CODE is supposed to work." Well, maybe so, but the cited experience is really irrelevant, because most anyone whether they've driven a car, bike, snowmobile, jetski or just walk their dog (advanced biological "machine") down the street will tell you that the machine should do exactly as you ask, exactly WHEN you ask it. For various reasons (probably don't want to dilute the M cars, although maybe they do this BS too) our DCT is unable to always function so straightforwardly.
I guess this comment was directed at me since I'm the only one who mentioned motorcycles. If the trans is so complex and quirky, then BMW should have never put this out for street use. The vast majority of their customer base with DCTs won't ever track it. If they do, it's not their dedicated track car. In my opinion, they should have stuck with the steptronic transmission; which is what BMW did with the 2 series.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of some of you to be able to drive my car in anger on a regular basis. Between the constant congestion and then the overly aggressive speeding enforcement, I only have small windows of time when I am out and about to drive my car in "anger".

And to clarify a bit more, my comment about having driven manuals for a long while with both cars and motorcycles was directed at the person who has implied we who have complained about the lag issues (and in my case the lurching) don't know how manuals behave.
Appreciate 0