09-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #1232
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I actually didn't know that much about the Performance Center delivery option because it's never been a very feasible option for us west coasters unfortunately. I was never sure if you got performance driving instruction and experience in YOUR actual car you were buying and/or I just assumed they had a fleet of various m-cars that you got to drive around in. So, I hadn't even contemplated or fathomed them having a 135is there until a few days ago when that professional photographer on here posted performance center pics and I saw 2 lemans blue IS's! And then I saw that video I posted the next day, too.

So, that sounds 1,000 times better than I could have imagined since you get professional driving lessons in an identical car to your own and get to really drive and push THEIRS before getting in yours and driving home, knowing the full potential and limits of our lil guys.
For the PCD experience, BMW is really just giving you a taste of what happens at the Performance Center. Seat time in the 135is was about lapping the autocross course for a few laps, switching drivers (my wife wasn't interested so I did more laps), then learning/practicing panic braking and collision avoidance maneuvers. We switched to 335s for the skidpad exercises, then took a hot lap in an M5 (spending most of the time sideways), then moved into X3s for the off-road course (amazing!). Actual car time was not long enough, but again, PCD is designed to give you only a taste and become aware of the capabilities/limits of your car. The rest of the 8am-3pm activities include a bit of classroom briefing up front, visiting the Zentrum (awesome!), lunch, high-speed pass through the gift shop, and of course, getting introduced to your new car!

The PC is 99% about driving schools and technical instruction... car deliveries are a maximum of 8 per day and obviously a tiny portion of the overall PC activities (we are definitely going back in the spring for an M driving school course!). The entire door-to-door experience was fantastic... one of my wife's favorite trips (and that is saying A LOT). BMW really does it right... picking you up at the airport, putting you up in the Marriott, feeding you, etc. Driving away in a new 135is with 600 miles of open road ahead was the cherry on top! -- Rick

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0