View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
this was thoroughly covered in the top gear thread. I think Clarkson disliked BMWs 10 years ago or something, or maybe people just remember the fact that his impression of BMW **OWNERS** is negative. In the other thread examples were given that he has basically raved about nearly all BMWs in the recent 5 years with the sole exception being the X6. Those who feel Clarkson hates BMWs need to re-watch his reviews.
+1

Back when Top Gear was actually about cars (pre 2000) he test drove the E46... I think it was a 328i. He had absolutely nothing but good to say about that car at the time, and every review of a BMW I've seen from him has been talking about the great driving dynamics.

In print he's been a tad more critical of the 1'er than he was about previous Bimmers... but generally he talks about the same things that everyone else here seems to talk about; run flats, suspension encouraging more understeer than he'd like and so on. However, that doesn't mean he dislikes the car... though he doesn't seem to be a fan of the convertible.

And FYI yes I know Top Gear still talks about cars, but let's be honest it's 95% entertainment and only 5% about the actual cars. On the flip side of that though I am at a loss to say how you'd make a show about cars really entertaining; the old Top Gear was pretty dry. If you want a show that gets more of a "car" balance, try Fifth Gear (the competition to Top Gear) which even has an ex Top Gear presenter (Tiff Needell).
Appreciate 0