06-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #44
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
What's with all that carbon roof fanatism ?
You guys realise that's just plain marketing ? You're all brainwashed by BMW.

I'm not debating that CF roof might be a few pounds lighter than standard metal roof.
But do you really think this will make you faster in your lap times ? Yeah, milliseconds.

If there would be a real benefit, all other (sport)car makers would be all over it. Like the double cluth for example. And the new M5 doesn't seem to have CF roof either.

PS: I'm also not debating that CF roof can 'look sexy' depending on your car's exterior color. But you can solve that with a wrap. Much cheaper.
The real benefit of a carbon fiber roof can be seen on the track because weight is taken from the highest point of the car thus improving the lower center of gravity. This helps in cornering the car at speed plus it helps improve acceleration times as well as braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Don't see why... the next 1M (or M2, whatever they are going to call it) should be just as good if not better.
+ 1 It's hard to believe it now because the 1M is perfect answer for todays market but cars keep getting better. The current 1M has the edge over the current M3 but I'm sure the new M3 will be a monster with an even better twin turbo engine than the N54. Also the M2 has to be better than the 1M, it's just the way it is. Manufacturers are always moving forward. If I had to spend 110k today I'd buy the 1M. If I was spending 160k+ I'd take the GTR. Btw, this is Australian pricing for anyone else reading! Richard, I still think we were pretty lucky to get the current 1M engine in our 135i's

Last edited by BMW86; 06-16-2011 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0