View Single Post
      11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #54
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 M-Sport

I’ve seen this odd question about why companies participate in builds for the 1M or make products for it, posted several times on 1-Addicts, probably by the same person, so I'll give you some basics on marketing, promotion, advertising, etc.

Companies, including those that make car parts, will often give a product away if they feel that it will be sufficiently seen in a variety of venues by enough people, to create brand awareness. And if the product placement is on a good show, or worn by a cool celeb, or say, installed on a nice car, it can create an association with something good, and can often translate into increased sales. In fact, even if a few people hate one of the celebs, or shows, or a vehicle they see it on, they remember it, and it can still translate into sales – similar to the annoying jingle on many TV commercials.

So for example, if Moton provides a set of coilovers for a 1M SEMA build, reasonably intelligent people may realize that not only will those parts fit on their car if they own a 1M, but maybe, just maybe, the company also makes coilovers for other BMW applications, or nah I say, for other car brands, or other types of vehicles entirely. For example, with the exception of the RevoZport front splitter and rear diffuser, most of the parts on the aforementioned car fit on other 1-series cars (that’s more than 20), all of the power mods on the car will fit on any N54 equipped BMW (yes, different maps; also more than 20); the Sparco seats will fit in almost any vehicle (a lot more than 20); the Performance Friction Brakes are made for a wide variety of vehicles(you guessed it, more than 20); Toyo makes tires for all sorts of vehicles (again, a few more than 20), etc. For more information, please Google, "what is advertising?" or "what is product placement?" or "what is marketing?” (But don’t worry, I'll save this post and refer you back to it the next time you post this same question later.)

And if you like your car stock, great, enjoy that but maybe bashing every company that dares make aftermarket options (an option, as in you don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to), on a forum who's conversations are mostly about aftermarket modifications, may not be the most logical perspective to have in a performance forum context. But hey, to each is his own. But if this is your perspective, perhaps a nice Toyota Camry forum would better suit your forum needs. I’m sure there are loads of riveting threads there about how comfy the stock seats are, how awesome the couch-on-wheels suspension is, how classically average the stock body lines are, or how well the stock gas mileage compares with that of your minivan. And here’s a really radical idea, crazy I know, but it is possible to see a product on the forums that you don’t like…. (wait for it)… and NOT be a complete ass about it (ironically, much like I’m being now, but then, I did just quit smoking [again] so I give myself a pass this one time). Another option you could consider, the age-old concept of “the unexpressed thought”…

As for the comment about "making money", YES, that's kind of the idea behind being in business; you know, making products, promoting them, trying to sell them at a profit; also known as capitalism… it’s what fuels an economy… makes cars like BMW possible. In fact I’m not sure if I’m aware of any car related companies that make cars or car parts as a community service. Profit and capitalism are good things; well, unless you’re a loser and can’t compete in any aspect of life like the morons in the “Occupy” movement and thus want the government to control and make everything equal regardless of one’s life choices, but I digress.

I apologize in advance, I’m a jerk today. Anyone have a smoke on them?

Last edited by Ohcrap; 11-10-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0