11-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #66
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Paint, depending on color and the size of the car, weighs a bit over 20 lbs. White is a bit lighter than other colors (not kidding). The wrap weight will depend on the thickness, but the thin ones are generally in the low single digit lbs for the whole car.

If they skipped paint and primer on the carbon hood and trunk lid they might almost make up for the wrap on the rest of the car.

I'm not very impressed with the shut-lines on that carbon trunk lid. If that's the best they can do on the show car I fear for customer parts...
I have waited for this day to come, when you would finally put your two cents in on something you, my man, are DEAD WRONG in. As the son of the owner of an automotive bodyshop, for over 15 years may I add.... White is by far, the thickest, and heaviest pigment in the automotive toner spectrum. To further prove my point, when tinting a color to color match a vehicle, the best rule of thumb is you can re-tint and correct the mixed paint to go darker, never lighter, as white is too heavy. Hence, any white paint job with metallic MUST be three-stage, as the white pigment is too heavy to allow metal, or pearl toners to properly atomize and fall uniformly on the vehicle.

Stick to what you know.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0