View Single Post
      06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Methanol is more volatile than ethanol. By an order of magnitude. This means it will much more readily evaporate and draw off heat than ethanol. I know they both work to cool off the engine, but methanol is more efficient and more combustible, so no water droplets will be entering your engine. I would much rather find a good methanol source.

Also, the water you buy at the grocery store is NOT distilled. Humans should NEVER drink actual distilled or deionized water long term. Tap, bottled, and natural water have many trace elements and minerals which are necessary for proper body function and growth. This is why all the water you drink has these minerals, even if it's "purified" they add the good stuff back in. (ps - otherwise the water will actually taste pretty nasty to you as well). It's exactly these trace elements that I don't want in my engine, and exactly why I already said I don't want to use bottled water, etc that is meant for human consumption.

Please get a clue before you bash my thread. Maybe I'm nit picking a bit, but I want to be as good to my engine as I can be. If you'd rather be more haphazard with your car, that's fine. If you don't agree with my philosophy, then that's fine
Sorry you took the shortness of my post the wrong way, I was on my phone. I have a clue, and I think if you would have searched more on the forum about such topics you would have found detailed answers to your questions, but I was trying to give you the cut and dry summary.

Order of magnitude more volatile? Do you know what an order of magnitude is?
Meth vapor pressure @ 20C is 13 kPa
Ethanol vapor pressure @20C is 6 kPa

FYI - I don't drink distilled or deionized water, lol, but at my grocery store they actually do stock many different types of water by the gallon jug, including steam distilled water, which is what I care to use for my mix, and it's super cheap. I think a few vets around here can speak to the minimal performance difference between straight methanol and straight ethanol, but like another member already said, if you have a significant fraction of water it's even more of a moot point. If you want to use lab grade 5 nines methanol or VP M1 be my guest, but you'd be going through more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. You are certainly welcome to your own opinion.

You have to admit though, you mentioned distilling your own water, and that is laughable. Lighten up!

We ?
Appreciate 0