Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyloft View Post
I figure if BMW says 15k, then i believe them: they designed the car. AND they know that if cars start falling apart at 50,000 miles no one will buy them anymore. so if you're thinking they do that to save money, they'd be losing futre sales and repeat customers if their predetermined service intervals caused unnecessary wear shortening the life of the car.

This is exactly what I think when people say BMW changed their service schedule just to save a few bucks. My understanding is the interval change coincided with the switch to synthetic oil, and obviously as you mentioned, increased precision in manufacturing certainly plays a role. The money they would save in the short term by underservicing vehicles would be NOTHING compared to the damage the brand would incur 10-15 years from now when all these cars stop running.
A counter argument to the idea that BMW is skimping us on service now that it's free is that perhaps BMW recomended unnecessarily frequent service intervals when it was on the customers dime.
In any case, you can't really change anyone's mind about this - it's like a religion. We'll follow our owners' manuals and they'll do what feels right to them and we'll all feel better about ourselves.
Appreciate 0