JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I recall that gaffa tape
LOL!! It was actually duct tape but good memory Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
That's how I roll Edwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Isn't the HVAC filter there to filter the air coming into the AC? Does it make any difference to the smell etc with it off?

I guess it would be possible to run with the cowl off and HVAC on right?
Correct. There is a slight oil smell that can occasionally be smelt in the cabin but doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I think that messing with the thermostat is a bad idea. Car will take longer to warm up and cold engines get damaged! There seems to be this obsession that 120C is too hot, which it isn't. 120c is optimal for these cars as per BMW engineering.
Cold engines will wear quick if the car is being pushed hard especially with a tune. I agree 120C isn't too hot if your not driving the car hard but I would prefer it to be between 100-110C. BMW also has engineered a lot of things on these car's that do not perform half as good as aftermarket cheaper parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
"run flats" are also "optimal" by BMW as well.... what's your point? Just because something is "engineered by BMW", does not mean it is the end all be all. Many things have room for improvement.
Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
I will! In fact... now that you mention it... I do every day. About 3-4 times a day. For about 10 minutes each time when the car is warming up!

I live in Florida. The only "cold oil" is on cold starts. As long as there is little to no load on an engine during warm up, there is an extremely, if not nearly 0% chance, of engine damage due to lack of lubrication from the viscosity of "cold oil".

I seriously doubt the fact that the oil taking an extra minute, or two, would have any adverse side effects on the engines longevity, or the performance. In fact, there is a reason oil has varying viscosity from cold start to full engine temp.

Oil has come a long way... and the fact that BMW "engineered" their cars, and oil, to last 15k miles between oil changes shows just how much variance and abuse the oil and motor can handle.
Very well said.
Appreciate 0