1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
thanks guys.
when you say control arms and tension rods, you mean for the front, correct?
Yes, for the front.

I've done my suspension mods in stages. I also went with aftermarket wheels with non runflat tires. At each step I've seen an incremental increase in handling and overall feel. First I installed the M3 E93 FSB. Next I installed the M3 control arms and tension rods. Finally I added the Koni Sports and 2011 M Sport springs.

The M3 FSB removed significant amount of the body roll in the car. The M3 control arms and tension rods tightened up the steering and steering feel and enhanced turn in. The struts/shocks/springs greatly reduced squat and dive, made the suspension more responsive to driver imput and improved cornering.

I know a lot of people contend that installing M3 rear subframe bushings is one of the best things you can do to improve the 1s handling. I'm sure it does and I may consider doing it as a future mod. However, it's not cheap given the labor involved. Also in my opinion the most glaring weak links in the stock handling are the FSB and the struts/shocks/springs. The 2011/12 springs are an improvement over the 08-10 springs and seem to work well with a good set of aftermarket dampers.