View Single Post
      04-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #18
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Look, anyone can construct a fictive (water bottle) scenario- fold in some details that supports a linear logic narrative.
I'll stand by my earlier thoughts.The shots are grainy because they mimic the texture of the model they copy (spy-pics).

Show me more pics from this shot. Tell me the name of the photographer-
I mean c'mon.
This is the age of victimization- why hasn't this guy popped up w. his "story?"
I think I can guess his initials...WMB in your rear-view mirror.
His story has a sell-by date and it's passed.
But we are left with the image of the car successfully placed in dedicated media forums.

The photos are bogus in the sense that they are posed. And the only false note that I can see is the detritus of American nostalgia scattered about...
Greyhound sign, Model T, etc, which is actually, from what I understand, part of the "real" set which included a 2002 model BMW.

I think we are in an age of new strategies that specifically construct a romanticized parallel narrative to reality, thus becoming it's own reality.
This is a construct of desire portrayal complete with this years flavor- favor > the grotesque and forbidden, whose signifiers (Chuckie/biker-chick), act as a supporting cast.

Maybe this is nutty but I really believe this is very sophisticated stuff.
It plays as an enactment of Gilles Deleuze's theory of "The Fold".
He explains how we really don't have an object we desire, but something that is more complicated and rich...a narrative fantasy that includes the object of desire.
So it's not the blonde...it's cruising by your ex-wife who is devastated to see you in a roadster with the blonde in the passenger seat.

This photo plays with voyeurism- the veiled (sexy) object which we undress. And it's just human nature to be curious and what the back and the front of a car might correlate to the human body...what part we are most interested in seeing-what part is covered.

This isn't exotic or forbidden or delusional...it's Deleuzional & his thinking is out there being interpreted and adapted in various contemporary formats.

Much in the same way that Marshall McLuhan's media theory's and Jean-Paul Sarte's writings on Existensialism
(a kind of surrogate apologia for France's absolute ethical collapse during WW2) were applied and informed the 50's and 60's.

The photo is the proof- if you can call a bunch of arranged pixels proof of reality.

I doubt that I am wrong. It's simulacra. It's Deleuzian desire scenario. It's manipulation by some smart people.
And sorry I rambled here. Flame away.:biggrin:

Appreciate 0