View Single Post
      05-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I gotta disagree with you there Spin. By implication your saying that BMW half-assed the 3 and the 5 series since there base engines are that 230hp. Lets say they only brought the 1series in the form of 130i and 135i. That would mean that there lowest series, has a more potent base engine. That wouldnt make much sense. By half-assing, i meant them not giving us engines the rest of the current BMW line-up uses. If you think about it, the current 328i produces the same performance numbers as the 130i hatchback even though it has 30hp less. Go figure.
s2k, I do think that the current engine lineup for the 3 and 5 are somewhat half-assed. It isn't that 230HP for the base model is not enough. If it was a 2.5L motor specifically tuned to provide good fuel efficiency, it would be a perfect base engine. The problem I have is of course that it costs BMW next to nothing to bump that HP from 230HP to 255HP, which is what this engine is designed to generate in the first place. It would even get the same or better gas mileage. Since the reason that we get the detuend version is purely marketing oriented, I consider it to be half-assed.

But I did not mean that 128i-135i would be worse than 125i-130i for the future of the 1 series. I agree the former is a better choice. And I know there is a zero chance of getting 130i-135i lineup with the 3 and 5 series lineup being what they are. I was just ranting, as I constantly will until they give me my N53 130i.:mad:
Appreciate 0