View Single Post
      07-10-2005, 10:17 PM   #35
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Quick update and advice to whomever's planning on removing their front plates -

The plugs fit nicely but over the last week I noticed that one of them was not sitting flush with the bumper. Well I contacted the manufacturer and he said that they could be pulled out and reinserted. Well I tried their method, which is quite tedious by the way, and the entire paint on the plug just peeled right off. I contacted them and they were nice enough to send me new plugs free of charge.

The problem was that when the holes were drilled the edges of the hole were raised as can be expected when drilling plastic/rubber composite. The raised edges were not letting the plug sit flush. Since the plug has a tapered end I simple pushed the raised edges inwards towards the hole opening. Then inserted the new plug and the tapered edge simply pushed the edges inwards sort of folding them inwards. Result - the plug sits flush with the bumper and now looks factory fitted.

So if you drill your bumper for the plugs, either use a very high speed drill or make sure you push any raised edges inwards for a flush fit. I wouldn't try to remove the edges of the hole cause you may end up scratching the bumper or peeling off paint.
Appreciate 0