Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
When I said that mods deserved a deduction in the price, I was mostly talking about mods that either require upkeep to maintain (or risk deterioration to the vehicle as a whole as regards function, i.e. ability to roll) or to mods that are rather ugly, like some of the wide body and carbon fiber shit everywhere that one sees . . . .
I get what you're saying, but part of me also thinks it's a little bit absurd for a seller to be making demands based on what they think a particular car should be. If I ever sell my 1er, it will be as a modified vehicle, and I would quickly lose patience with a shopper who expected me to reduce my asking price based on said modifications - I've already factored it in. If a buyer wants a stock vehicle, it should be on them to keep searching the market for one or accept what is on offer, not on me to subsidize the conversion of my vehicle back to stock.

That said, I do agree that it is equally absurd when sellers expect to recoup their modification costs during resale of their vehicles. Mod money is basically lost money IMO.

Some give and take from both parties is part and parcel of any good negotiation, but there is a fine line between driving a hard bargain and tire-kicking. I think some of these frequent shoppers are serial low-ballers who are more interested in a good deal than a good car, and will make 100 unrealistic offers hoping for a single bite.

I think it really comes down to how motivated the seller is to move the vehicle. If someone is in no hurry and doesn't mind fielding phone calls and email queries, then they can wait for months for the right buyer to come along.