View Single Post
      05-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #51
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Major denial? The differences are minor at best (maybe except for the piston rings you mention...i don't enough about that to even comment)....as far as the intake is concerned maybe the airbox is fluted different on the inside??? Even still any differences to the intake side are minimal....the exhaust being different is a push as there aren't any performance gains from it and it is a more a visual/audio difference more than anything....so the engine being nominally the same/identical is still a valid argument IMO. The engine was already tweaked and put on a vehicle before it went into the 1M...its called 335is
Yup, major denial. Piston rings and flywheel upgrades are not considered "minor" differences in my book, as one is directly related to compression and the other is directly related to throttle response, both of which are connected to the performance of the engine. Obviously to most of us the intakes look the same since at this point they are closed black boxes, however, a change in design has been mentioned multiple times. The same goes for the exhaust, and I wouldn't say that the gains are minimal, given that there is not enough dyno evidence of this puppy just yet, and most sources are saying that BMW was very modest/conservative when releasing the numbers. Lastly, the engine that made it to the 335is is an N54 with a power kit on it, which the 1M's engine has as well, however, no internal components were changed. In addition, a change in DME mappings alongside the overboost feature are also new and make a difference in performance. Engine code the same? Sure. Exact same engine (to include vital components such as DME)? Not at all.
Appreciate 0