09-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #5723
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglocanadian View Post
The outlined oil cooler fitting is the standard item, the PPK cooler is on the driver side.
If you look inside the left wheel arch you will see a slatted plastic plate with the cooler behind.
Also you will notice it dosent have the Tyco electronics box .
What my tech told me was that the oil cooler is what is needed in order to install the PPK software. I noticed the absence of the electronics box and it is unclear to me what function this provides; I don't see it listed as one of the items in the parts list for the PPK software, which has been quoted to me as BMW part # 11-12-2-219-489. That item is apparently just a software code and some stick on labels. It is certainly possible that the tech is mistaken; my guess is that few dealerships have installed very many of these packages, and I don't even know if any currently sold models can even use this PPK version. The tech did look up my specific VIN number and told me that BMW indicates that my car can have the PPK part number above installed with no further modification.

I did read some earlier threads with posts from around 2010, and which dealt with models other than just the 135i, also the 335i for example. These threads were obviously discussing cars with an N54 engine, not the N55 in my 2013 135i. In those threads I read reference to not needing some of the parts in the version 2 kit if the car was not going to be tracked and would be limited to street use. Later posts in those threads in which some cars had N55 engines seemed to indicate that the designation of the engine as being the "M-Sport" type meant that the car could have the PPK installed without needing the "option code 440," which, perhaps, was specific to N54 cars. I just don't know.

Another thing I know is that the version 1 PPK (part number above) is still widely available, and the version 2 PPK kit appears to be completely unavailable. I am guessing that this may be because there were presumably no N54 engine cars made after 2010, other than the 1M which obviously does not need the PPK V. 2. That would mean we are 6-7 years out on those models and presumably the demand for such a kit is virtually non-existent, and anyone wanting to tune an earlier, N54 engine car would just likely choose a 3rd party tune anyway.

If you can clarify any of this, please do.

Last edited by champignon; 09-03-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0