Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervgotti01 View Post
Read that thread again. The engineer who was analyzing our injectors said he had problems with the filters melting at 100 Celsius when running E85. He said and I quote " As long as the temperature of the injector stays under the 100 Celsius, this engine is perferctly capable to run E85. As a matter of fact, it will run E100 without any problem under cold conditions".

There is no way in hell our injectors are running less than 100 Celsius especially since they are directly connected to the head. If the N54 was port injected I can see it not hitting 100 celsius. So please actually read the thread before posting non sense.
If there's no way in hell that the injectors are running less than 100 C, how come these injectors aren't constantly failing with normal gas? The injectors have a constant feed of cool fuel running through the filter, which means the filter (which is the furthest part of the injector from the head) is the coolest part of the injector. I'm posting MY engineering knowledge after reading the thread, thank you. You are posting what you think is happening with no data to back it up. There's no way you can conclude what happened what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervgotti01 View Post
Your improper tune theory is stupid. You can tune an engine to run perfectly on E85, but you can not tune an engine to prevent wear on hardware components ie injectors, plugs, water pump, coil packs ect ect. That's like saying if you tune an engine properly your spark plugs should not wear out. What we're looking at here is premature failure of the injectors due to E85.
Lets do the math on how an improper tune could cause problems...

Stoic of gasoline is 14.7:1. Stoic of E85 is 9.76:1. Pretty big difference. You start mixing E85 with gas at say 30% and now your ideal stoic is 13.2:1 instead of 14.7. So now your engine has no ideal that when it targets 12.2:1 for the most power, its actually running lean! And that creates more heat than your engine would see with a proper tune, it also leaves your engine prone to knocking. All of this extra heat can cause premature failure of spark plugs, injectors to melt (like these filters!), exhaust valves to cook, and in extreme cases total failure of the engine. Tuning is HUGE to engine reliability and most people don't take it seriously enough around here.
Appreciate 0