02-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
Congrats on the news. Isofix is not sold in Australia as it has not been recognised by Australian Standards because they will not pull their fingers out of their backsides and approve it. This does not mean it isn't as safe as our standards - it is better. In fact after 12 months, you do not even have to carry your child in a car seat in Oz according to law (but that is changing soon I believe).

I am ordering both an Isofix capsule and carseat from the UK next week as we are expecting soon and both the e92 and Subaru Liberty we own have Isofix as standard.

Going with:

Maxi-Cosi - Cabriofix- birth to 8 months or so
Maxi-Cosi Priorifix - 8 months plus

Best deal so far is from www.lullabys.co.uk but shipping is steep so use an independent shipping agent like www.excessbaggage.co.uk.
I lived in the US for a few years and we had our kids over there. When we did our removal to come home the Australian Customs agent at the Embassy told us that if you try and bring a car seat home without an Australian Standards sticker on it it will be confiscated by customs in Oz and not released to you.

So if your trying to import one you might want to keep that in mind. You could try emailing Customs via their website for definitive advice. They are very helpful.

That said, we did bring a couple of the Isofix (aka "latch") webbing belts home with us and they can easily be used in lieu of threading an inertia reel seatbelt through the seat/capsule. This is exactly the same method as US made seats and IMHO it is far superior (and safer) than the Australian method.
Appreciate 0