View Single Post
      03-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
The flywheel is different... and I think some internal parts of the engine are forged instead of cast, allowing more boost... but I'm not sure.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463733
I didn't know about the flywheel. Nice, as that allows the engine to build rpm easier, quicker response.
Don't know that anything in the tuning would need to be different for that though.

Yes, BMW did beefed up some internals, which helps increase longevity due to the higher stock power.
Still, the non M N54 has shown that it can handle a lot of boost.
Now as for how long, how many miles, we don't have many high mileage extra boosted N54's to know exactly.
Those parts are for dealing with greater stresses, but don't change the tuning. Given the maximum boost that these little turbo's can give, the N54's have been able to handle it well so far.
Now if someone really wants to create huge power, then the beefed up M N54 has the advantage as it should be able to handle bigger turbo's that could give greater boost. Yet that would be an altogether different tune.

I'm still waiting to read if there is anything greatly different with the M version of the N54 that would necessitate a different tune though.
BMW pretty much took the N54 and beefed it up to help deal with the added boost they gave it, as BMW has to cover the engine for 50K miles, and then beyond. They don't want it to survive just for 50K or 100K, but longer as it will eventually effect consumer perception.

I don't mean this in a mean or negative way, but the 1M is using a not so unique engine. It's the N54 built to be stronger. It's not a unique engine compared to other M cars. I don't think that's a bad thing though, as some others really knock or knocked the 1M for that reason.
I've seen and read how great of an M the 1M is, and by using an engine that isn't that unique allows people to buy one hell of a car for one hell of deal price wise.

My 135i lease is up in June. If the 1M was available in quantity so that people could lease one, I'd be all up in it.
Appreciate 0