Thread: Pricy Wheels?
View Single Post
      03-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Pricy Wheels?

Here's my debate. Is the 1er suited to have pricy wheels? Such as BBS LMs or other forged wheels like the RG-R or Superleggera III. I mean the car is under $40K, so why spend 10% of the car's cost to shave a few pounds of unsprung weight, and it is very few in some cases. Of course they'd look great and will enhance performance and appearance, but at a high cost ratio. The former BBS RK is one of my favorite BBS cast wheels and was very light (lighter than the LM if memory serves) for around 30% of the cost. Good looking wheel too. In reality a 1er is a poor man's exotic and uppercrust shoes just seem a bit out of place...potentially. Can't decide whether to just keep the OEM 264 wheels or go for the gusto on some pricey BBS RG-Rs, diamond black of course, or LMs with gold centers. If I could get a set of RKs (with proper fitment) I'd do that for sure and be quite content as the wheel seems at home on entry level Bimmers. Since I can't I assume, I'm left with little choice other than to go for the gusto at some point, and shell out $4,000+ for wheels and tires. That'll be hard to do and I'd better never scratch them as I'd need to sell them at the point the car is sold off.

Anyone else having this debate, or can you be satisfied with low end aftermarket wheels? I can't...