08-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #113
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I’m a 62 year old lawyer who has practiced consumer protection law since 1973. I have handled countless lemon law, car fraud, and deceptive dealer practices cases, including class actions involving extended warranties. I have studied countless manufacturer’s warranties, warranty policy and procedure manuals and extended warranty plans over the years. I am not unfamiliar with the facts about these things.

I own an extensively modified 1997 M3 with 200,000 miles on it. I just ordered a 1M and hope to take delivery in Spartanburg and drive it back home, passing through the dragon’s tail on the way. The Top Gear video of the 1M pasting the Porsche Cayman R and the Lotus Evora S, along with some intense lobbying by my step-son, Chuck, and his friend, Dave, pushed me over the edge toward purchasing the 1M. So, you see, I am not entirely ruled by reason.

I joined this forum to glean what knowledge I can from those who know more than I do about cars. My first car, a 1957 Studebaker with a flathead six, burned a lot of oil. So, at 17, I took the engine apart and did a ring job on it in the driveway. Although I’ve been a passable shade tree mechanic ever since, I love learning more about the technologically sophisticated cars that are being produced today. But when you get right down to it, I just like to drive fast cars that handle well and to shoot the bull with others who like to do the same.

I also joined to share what knowledge I have that may be useful to others. If I have learned anything in helping consumers with their legal problems over the years, it is that consumers should not spend their hard-earned dollars on illusory goods or services.

If you choose to take that as me trying to throw a wrench into the GB, there is not much I can do about that, except to assure you that is not my intention. I just happened upon a topic that I know a little something about and thought my experience could benefit others.

And you?
Slats, your input and point of view is, I assure you, appreciated by the forum as a whole. While you shouldn't have to explain your background, I'm glad you did- it is always hard to come to terms with (and appreciate, for that matter) the input of someone whom you have never met and who's only communication with you has been in writing without the chance for emphasis or clarification. Thanks for chiming in.
Appreciate 0