08-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgxmike View Post
That totally looks like it might even improve your gas mileage too.

I used to load my Mini Cooper S onto my Trailblazers roof rack all the time, it was fine.

OK seriously now, That is a lot of weight to add to the top of the car. You can make the car very unstable. I would suggest the track day trailer option instead.

Also how did you get 35lbs/tire??? I've never seen a wheel lighter than ~18lb (for 18") and a tire less than 21lb (for a 135i racing size >245) Thats 49lb/corner at ~160lbs +rack. You are probably close to 200lbs and that is dangerous.

I don't want to be a jerk, but it is probably worth the extra money to protect your safety and the car from damage.
Even if it was 180-200lbs, the base rack is rated at 150lbs. I think you might be overstating the danger there. I also think it depends on "what" the weight is- I'd feel less comfortable about mounting a 200lb canoe on the top of the car. With the tires, the weight is low, distributed evenly, and everything is cinched very tight.

To each his own I suppose.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.

Last edited by jeremydgreat; 08-27-2010 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0