09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
Thank you sir. Now this is a man that knows about brakes. Very good explanation.

P.S. The man is correct on what he states, I just don't like people in general who assume things they know nothing about.
No problem, and just keep in mind another thing. I'm still new to the 1 platform but if you plan on upgrading to a 135i caliper but without the rear (not sure if they offer the rear), you're also messing with the brake bias. The BMW engineers (and every car engineer for that matter) has figured the correct caliper size, piston bore size, rotor diameter, etc to come up with a balanced braking system. By slapping on front brakes from another car, yes while it may *fit*, you may actually be worsening your stopping distance. Really good article on brake bias:

http://zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

But the point is, if you're going to purchase a BBK, find one that's specifically meant for not only your car, but also meant to work with your stock rear or purchase the rear BBK that compliments the front.

A lot of what people report as improvement in braking really comes down to the feel, not the actual stopping distance. And I'm not discounting the *feel* aspect but just trying to clarify where your money is being spent. Me personally, for a street car I'd get good pads, blank rotors (forget drilled or slotted), ss lines for pedal feel and high temp fluids and call it a day. Don't get track pads for a street car, you won't ever get them to ideal operating temps so they'll actually perform worse than a street pad, not to mention squeal like a school bus and cover your wheels in corrosive dust.