View Single Post
      04-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I've done exterior for a year or so and stopped.

I've found that you can never meet some customer expectations. Even when you tell them what you're going to do...how you're going to do it and the results, people always want more.

I actually had a customer get mad at me because after I detailed his car, he could see the rock chips easier and demanded why I didn't fix them...and this was after I wetsanded at least 4 scratches from his car. True story.

In the end, it just wasn't worth my time or money. I was making around $500 or so a car, and it was a cool side-gig but my weekends were consumed with working on cars. I did a G35 once and didn't expect how hard it was to correct that paint, and ended up spending close to 40 hours in paint correction to get the job done right.

And yes, I've destroyed a bumper before and loss my ass on it. The bumper was repainted and the owner didn't know about it. I hit it with a polisher and instantly ripped the paint off the bumper and all the way down to the plastic. Really that was the deciding moment when I thought I would just stick to doing my own cars.
Appreciate 0