///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Club rules are everything you just stated and are published on the website and re-iterated in the driver's meeting.

The only piece of information you are missing is that this was a mixed passing group. Typically our B group (which the Z is one of) is point-by only, period, but this event was our A group (unlimited passing) and B together. The mixed rules were unlimited passing for any car without an X on the back (the Z has an X). X cars require point-bys to go around except on straights where passing is unlimited. T8b to T10 at Sonoma is considered a passing zone.

So in this case, the Miata did nothing wrong, especially considering the Z was trying to get way out of the way to allow the whole train to pass. The Z's mistake was leaving the racing line and driving in his mirrors, which caused him to drop two wheels into the mud (it had been raining for three days prior to this event). If he stays on the racing line and points everyone by on the right, no accident, no problems. Anyone that couldn't get by before T10 could have passed between 10 and 11.
Thats just confusing. If the Z was an "X" car then shouldn't the Miata have waited for his own point-by? Unless that passing zone was considered a straight (doesn't look like one) where unlimited passing applied? The Z did the point-by wrong but taking a bad point-by is also an infraction in my opinion.

Having 2 sets of passing rules was bound to lead to some issues. What if you didnt notice the X or it had come off accidentally? You could end up with a situation where you think you're good to pass and the other guy isn't expecting it because he didn't point.

In my experience when some drivers, who are used to enjoying the freedom of open passing, are saddled with passing rules, they can become frustrated with slower cars and get aggressive. Driving in his mirrors and getting off the line tells me the Z was probably feeling pressure which lead to him thinking the courteous thing to do was get out of the way and let the stack of A drivers go through. That would be a mistake on his part and potentially lead to this incident. Not trying to place any blame or make excuses, just speculating.

Myself, when I was first promoted to A group I was very self conscious about "holding up" the faster A Solo drivers to the point where my driving took a marked nosedive as soon as someone was on my butt. It took me several sessions to get over. Maybe the Z wasnt ready to be swimming with the sharks just yet.

fe1rx: I'm curious, what track clubs do you run with?
Appreciate 0