View Single Post
      12-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Nevertheless, the point is despite all these other factors, simply staying on the racing line and pointing people by on the outside would have avoided the accident entirely.
Equally true that "simply staying off the racing line and pointing people by would have avoided the accident entirely." And yet, it didn't. The improbable event was the car spinning while being passed. The only way to avoid that risk was to recognize that the driver being passed was out of his depth and making it up on the fly.

Point-by passing is a cooperative transaction. Car ahead offers, car behind either accepts, or if conditions aren't right for him, rejects the offer. The same applies to each passing car, which is why each one needs their own point-by.

The only way it can be done safely is if there are established procedures and signals. Otherwise, you can never be quite sure what the other driver intends. As soon as someone starts making it up on the fly, you have lost control of the process.

Yes, I have on occasion passed cars on the wrong side when offered, and yes I have on occasion passed cars in non-passing zones when offered, because sometimes that does seem like the safer action in the circumstances, but this is a violation of the rules of engagement, for which I should be prepared to justify my actions to the organizers.

The real lesson should be when you see a driver acting contrary to the rules of engagement, pull them in and have a discussion as a minimum. If the problem is experience or skill, put an instructor in with them whether they ask or not. If your event doesn't have enough marshals to enforce the rules, it is up to the more experienced drivers to do so by reporting problems to the starter.

The Spec Miata driver made two errors: he accepted a passing opportunity on the wrong side, and he made the pass without getting a signal. Neither of these things caused the spin, which was caused by an inexperienced driver in over his head.

The organizers should step back even further and ask why was the Z driver allowed out on the track without supervision when he clearly lacked the experience to be out there safely on his own. "Free" instructing is great, but sometimes it should be "mandatory". Most lapping day organizers require newbies to be checked out before letting them out on their own. Those that don't - I avoid them.
Appreciate 0