First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
I guess I just disagree Fe1rx. The driver tried to stay off the racing line as you suggest would have avoided the incident, but it put him in the dirt because he wasn't paying enough attention which caused him to lose control. None of the things you claim were the Miatas fault are true in this club under the rules specified before the event. No one in the club that was at the event or has watched the video has suggested the Miata did anything wrong. The Miata passed on the correct side, at a reasonable time and on a "straight" where point-by rules were not applicable.

The club runs point-by passing exactly as you describe when the run group is not mixed, and it works great.

This driver had 5 days prior experience including an event under identical passing rules.

The club only assigns mentors to new/guest drivers. Other drivers are expected to request it if they want additional help when they sign up. We did have a former mentor state after the incident that this driver showed similar uncertainty over a year ago. The mentor admitted they should have alerted the race organizers. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I did not post this to debate fault. I just tried to pass on a little racing wisdom to hopefully help others have safe, fun track experiences. You are not wrong that the Miata could have done things to avoid the wreck too. The entire situation could have been avoided in a thousand different ways. But the simplest is to follow the basic fundamental that you stay on line and let faster cars go around. This applies to every form of passing rule, from novice drivers to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.