View Single Post
      02-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #31
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Sprint View Post
On a base car without Comfort Access, is there a way to install photochromic exterior mirrors and get them to actually work? ... While I'm at it does anyone know if I can add the self dimming interior rear view mirror to a base car? Are there wires and connectors hidden in the headliner? Thanks.
Some basic info to get you started:
- You need to get the dimming interior mirror first and foremost as this is the sensing mechanism for dimming the outside mirrors as well. Depending on the other options of the interior mirror (alarm led, High Beam Assistant, homelink and compass) you may need additional wiring. There is however an easy OEM retrofit cable for this. See attached official retrofit manual. For me, just the interior dimming worked without coding with the correct new dimming mirror and the retrofit cable.
- With the right coding (of retrofit option $430) your driver footwell NFRM module will drive a 3-wire so called LIN-bus data and power communication to the outside mirrors. Your current basic mirrors (=low) are controlled by 5 wires.
- With some clever re-pinning, no new wires are needed, just a new driver side door switch. Depending on what level of German language skills you have, this is a great diy (warning: you'd be leaving this English language forum): Mirror =high DIY
- In time I might have time for an English diy (don't hold your breath though), but if you search, there might be some out there fi on the BMW coding forum. Do include e9x forea in your search as it's 100% equal.

EDoc-836932772 EBA0434347 Part61120434330 Retrofit interior Mirror.pdf
Appreciate 0