08-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Good luck Matt. Sounds like a fun project and I hope it turns out the way you want.

Where you say "it will sound like this" is just the way my car sounds and I'm very happy with it.

I understand you liking the black tips better, a lot of people do. Personally, I prefer the PE tips over the stock black ones but of course that's very subjective.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished product.
Thanks Esteban! Visually I think the stainless/chrome ones look best when clean, but I never seem to be able to keep them clean haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pharaoh View Post
Good luck on the build! I hope it goes as smoothly as you make it sound. The color of the tips isn't as important to me as the size relative to the opening in the diffuser. I like when the dual tips really fill out the cutout and leave little room around the edges. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing it on video once you are done.
Thanks! I hope it goes well too haha. I think the PE conversion will be pretty straight forward, I have everything I need for that already and just need to make sure I take my time and do it right. The electric cutout install will be more complicated, specifically with ensuring I line everything up properly before welding.

I understand your point on filling the exhaust opening with the tips - I share the same preference there. I do have a slight concern about heat however so I typically look for at least 3/4 inch gap around the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Yeah, that's the way to go. I never understood "enthusiast" exhausts when they're quieter than a straight pipe but still loud enough to call out your position to cops every time you open the throttle. I mean, you've already lost the stealth game, why not just open it up all the way?

Cutout gives you two options, stealth or kill mode, and that's the way it SHOULD have come from the factory.
It's a balance I suppose, people are either looking for OEM quality sound, a bit louder without reducing daily comfort, or "wake the dead" loud. I'm going for the slightly louder than stock option with the PE mod, and then the "wake the dead" version at the flip of a switch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Following.

My plan is to do something very similar, but as a quad exhaust setup.

IE: leave the OEM location exhaust outlet stock standard, but have the right-hand outlets connected back to Y splitter at the midpipes (straight piped) and controlled by an inline electronic butterfly.
Honestly ideally I'd like to grab the 1M rep rear bumper with dual exhaust openings and run a similar setup, but I can't afford that whole conversion right now. Dual exhaust means changing quite a bit under the car with the battery tray/etc. to make it all fit. If you start this project please make a thread! I'd love to see you make it happen

For all: I've acquired the parts necessary to do the PE conversion. Now it's just a matter of cutting open the can, making the changes, and finding a shop that will weld it back up for me at a reasonable rate. Once that's complete I'll start the cutout install if I'm happy with the PE mod results.