08-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
I decided a while back that I wasn't totally thrilled with the Berk Street, yet I didn't want something waking the dead everywhere I drove. I thought about trying a catless DP with the OEM exhaust, and honestly just didn't want to deal with the annoyances of going catless.

Enter plan Numero Uno: An OEM axle-back exhaust with an electric cutout.

It's not a "new" idea or something super abstract, but I have not seen it done much. I really didn't mind the sound of the stock exhaust with the golf-tee mod, and it's nice to have some real peace & quiet when I'm on my multi-monthly road trips from DC to NJ. With that said, I also love the obnoxiously loud sound of these engines when they're less restricted.

My plan is to weld in an electric cutout in the 10" straight section of the OE exhaust that's just past the axles when under the car. The cutout comes with a turn-down that will just get pointed right at the ground. The wiring will go up through one of the many convenient grommets in the body to a power source, and the cutout will be remote-controlled.

Here's the cutout I plan to use: Link

And here's an image of the section in the exhaust I plan to utilize:

20170806_193455 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

That section is a perfectly straight 9.5/10" and is free and clear of any components under the car. So I'll have plenty of room to fit the cutout and it's motor.

The next stage is to do the OE BMW PE Exhaust mod, but I will only cover the larger hole section so the smaller perforated pipe is in-tact: Link 1 - Link 2

So with that mod and the cutout closed, it will sound like this, but a little quieter.

Finally, I'll be finishing the project off by either cutting off and replacing the stock exhaust tips or completely working them down and repainting them. I am a fan of the black finish because of how clean they appear even when dirty. The stainless ones just get so damn nasty so fast.

That's it! Thoughts and input welcome. I've already sold my berk street and acquired an OE exhaust. Next step is to order the cutout kit and parts to seal up the internals on the OE exhaust.
This is definitely the way to go IMO!
Monaco Blue/Coral Red | MHD BE Flash | RI M1 Bumper | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe DCI Intake | AR Catless DP | ER CP & Tial Q BOV | H&R Springs | VMR 18" | Black Gloss Grills | aFe Air Intake Scoops | MFactory SMFW | 335is Clutch | Blacked Out Side Markers | Carbon Fiber Deck Spoiler | LUX LED Angel Eyes | BMW Aluminum Pedals | BMS OCC | Mishimoto OCC | RB Turbo External PVC Kit | JB4 w/ Wireless | PR Stage 2 Fuel Pump | BMS SSK
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50