View Single Post
      01-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
The difference in travel between a 6 and 7in spring is only 1/2in. I ran rates between 400-575 on my E82 with a 6in 2.25 spring (least amount of travel) and not once ran into travel issues. I have a bigger diameter (more travel) spring on the car now, but also run a lot less compression force now, so it probably uses more travel than it did. Still definitely no coil bind. If that's your concern, use a progressive bump stop to operate at infinite rate before coil bind. As stated above, I'm not at all stiff, very much the opposite. I think unless you're jumping your car or something like that, you massively overestimate how much travel is actually used. For example, at a given ride height, the wheel would have to go into the wheel well over 2in before the spring coil bound. For almost any of us, there would be WAY bigger problems like that than coil bind. Namely, either a destroyed tire or a missing fender. It simply doesn't happen.

In any case, there's a big difference in corner weight between a 135 and a 128.
My 135i weighed in at 3220lbs. The weight difference between a 135i and 128i is over-stated. All that is different is a turbo and an intercooler. True though that the extra weight is over the front wheels which moves it to a 52/48 weight distribution instead of 50/50. The mandatory sunroof doesn't help either.

As for travel... I'd beg to differ. Do the math. Cornering loads can exceed 1500lbs on the outside tires. Even at a spring rate of 500lbs/in that's 3in of compression travel (not including the sway bars added roll resistance of a big bar that puts you closer to 800lb/in). People who don't want to run 500lb/in, which is pretty damn stiff compared to say 300lb/in, would all benefit from running the longest spring possible when using the relatively softer springs vs your setup. If you're not already riding on your bump-stops at times, you are probably a hair away from it.

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-12-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0