View Single Post
      04-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #134
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Sounds like you just want to burn rubber. You should be able to spin tires and drift around corners just fine with e-diff.... E-diff does not prevent wheel spin. Its goal is to keep both wheels spinning at the same speed.

I disabled it to see how it felt a while back. The car is LESS likely to "drift" because the inside tire will spin and all the torque will transfer to that wheel. In that sense, the car actually felt more easily controlled (less loose), but putting power down without spinning the inside wheel was difficult and almost always ended up in being slower around corners.

Not sure what a "WOT" launch is... I launch my manual at around 2700rpms-3700rpms when tires are hot and sticky. Anything more and all I do is spin. Disabling e-diff probably made launching much worse since one axel is shorter than the other. One tire almost always broke traction before the other which made the launch slower off the line.

Long story short, don't disable e-diff without having a mechanical diff unless you have a stock tune and some very sticky tires (you won't spin wheels).

I now have a mechanical diff with e-diff disabled (M3 visco-lok). I can drift much more easily if that's your goal... Car feels much better in all aspects than when using the stock e-diff.
Glad it's working out for you.

The following comments is with DSC disabled.

I'm really trying to gauge people's personal experience with disabling ediff. It seems many are having a different outcomes. Some say they still get braking and power cuts. Some say no difference, Others say WOW what a major improvement and no more power cuts or braking. As for myself, disabling ediff does lesson the traction controls Intervention. However, it doesn't prevent braking or even some type of power reduction completely. My dealer seems to think BMW may have done this intentionally but they're not sure. I was beginning to wonder if my situation is unique to myself.

I have a quaife diff and I still have braking of 1 wheel or power reduction in certain cornering situations. Even in some WOT straight line situations power to the ground is limited if too much power is attempted that could cause too much loss in traction. Wheel spin is very controlled when its allowed. I feel like braking force is active all the time even when driving normally around town. Sort of like brake pretensioning. Brakes are applied to individual wheels front and rear depending on the situation when I'm trying to have fun.

I've intentionally floored the throttle around certain corners. You'd expect loss of traction but the car adjust power and braking nearly Instantaneously to prevent further power down until the wheel is beginning to straighten out even in first gear. This is not the case for every situation. Sometimes I'm allowed more freedom in corners depending on the surface, steering angle etc.

Even when it rains outside, my cars traction system literally adjust to the tires coefficient of friction. I can floor it depending on the gear I'm in and instead of spinning, the car gives me the maximum amount of power and forward motion the surface will allow. This is pretty neat when you think about it since it can help you stay out of trouble. When I first got my LSD installed years ago, even part throttle had the car slipping or spinning.

With a stock turbos, custom MHD tune, e85, xhp FBO setup, I can spin 1st and 2nd in most situations if I want to have fun. 3rd and 4th gear wants to spin but I'll feel the brakes or even a brief sudden power reduction to stop this from happening. Sometimes it'll apply brakes to a front wheel or a rear wheel.

The car is faster in most situations with traction assist but assistance is unwanted sometimes. So there are pros and cons.

Thanks for your feedback
Appreciate 0