06-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhan4
Wow, have you ever even driven a diesel? The new ones from BMW, Mercedes and Audi don't have any noticeable fumes (other than when you fill it) and don't "sound like a tractor" at all. They may cost more initially, but they keep their resale value much, much better than their gas counterparts, at least here in the US (and in Europe too, I believe). Diesels are also known for "rewuiring" MUCH LESS servicing than gasoline engines. The Mercedes ones are known to run up to 400k-500k miles easily with just normal maintenance. Diesel engines are usually "overbuilt" and made to last a very, very long time.

As for the driveability, they do rev less so you have to upshift sooner. But they generally have a long, flat torque curve so you don't need to downshift as often. Not sure where you're getting that they take forever to accelerate. The E320 CDI is faster 0-60 than its gasoline counterpart here in the US.

Where I live, diesel fuel is cheaper than regular unleaded, but in some places it's a little higher. This is usually offset by the ~40% increase in fuel economy.

Also, diesels also put out a lot less CO2 than gasoline burning engines, although their particulate and NOx levels are much higher. You can't really make a blanket statement that they just "give off more emissions." Sure, maybe the old ones do, but you should be comparing a new, not-yet-released gasoline engine to a new diesel engine too. Let's put the new BMW DI engines up against the Mercedes Bluetec in that case.

I think BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW will disagree with you that diesel's days are numbered.
Yup, driven a number of them

Friends brand new 530d sounds like tractor on cold startup
Ex Bosses wifes 1 year old 730d sounds like a tractor on cold startup
E90 and E46 320d's I drove sounded like a tractors on cold startup

All have destinctive Diesel sound on hard acceleration, hot or cold.

They all still smoke ( granted we dont get the particulate filters here )

They smoke less on the very hig grade low sulphure diesel, but still smoke.
Your diesel will cost much more when they impliment the lower sulphure diesel.

Most diesels have a shorter maintenance interval, though the very new BMW ones are similar to petrol intervals ( other makes still require a number of extra oil changes for diesels )

All makes here give you a much lower trade in on diesels than petrols. I know a number of dealers that wont touch diesels for tradeins ( talking various makes.
E46 320d has a very bad resale here due to a Large number of Turbo failures. They did partly fix the problem and the failures are now at industry norms, but people still remember the large number of 320d turbo faiures ( it was over 20% of 1st year E46 facelifts here ).

Diesel engine failures are higher than pertrol engine failures- fact, ask any large make dealer that deals with diesels

BMW NA wont currently release diesels because of the emissions fines they would have to pay. They dont pay these on petrol models, so doesnt that mean diesels give off more bad emissions ?

335i compares very nicely to 330d ( both 3.0L engines )

"Diesels days are numbered" comes directly from the mouth of a BMW contact in Germany- you can agree or disagree.

Anyway, everyone can have what they want
But currently and to the forseeable future, no diesels for me please