View Single Post
      12-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #143
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I'm not J Tyler, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

...well not really, but I've been doing these types of events for nearly ten years now, and I would recommend the experience highly. I started with a BMW Club event, even though I had an Audi at the time. I've since done events with BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mini, and independent clubs, and have instructed for most of them as well.

You can absolutely track a bone stock car, you'll be amazed at how capable the car is once you learn some basic skills. I would recommend going to the BMWCCA.org, finding your local chapter, and going to an event just to check it out. If you feel intimidated, you can always go just to check it out and see what it's like. You shouldn't be anxious though, because everyone's a n00b at some point, and the clubs all have easy-entry beginner classes that focus on teaching the basics of proper car control. Generally, at that level , you will do structured exercises to teach some concepts before being "let out" on the track. Of course, as a beginner, you will have an instructor with you at all times, helping you learn. I would caution you against doing any track events with an organization that does NOT require an instructor to be in your car 100% of the time during lapping as a beginner. BMW/Audi/etc clubs will not allow that anyway, but you may find some independents that are slightly more...how shall I say..."careless".

But anyway - you will have a blast. Check out the BMWCCA.org website and read up, I'm sure there are events in your area. Before you know it, you'll be a junkie like the rest of us...
Appreciate 0