View Single Post
      04-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Can any of you guys that have a 2011 with the Harmon Kardon stereo give us a review? I have been looking forward to hearing some reviews on it. I really don't want to have to upgrade the stereo when I order my 135 but if the Harmon Kardon is not worth the $$$ I'll just upgrade the standard.
- Is there any difference between the new stereo and the previous years?
- How realistic is it to upgrade the standard stereo to better than Harmon for less than or equal the cost of the upgrade, including parts and install?

Thanks
Wade
I don't know if the 2011 HK has been changed from the previous models.
If it's the same, then it's "ok", but doesn't have enough volume for my tastes. It has very reproduction in terms of audio detail, and the system does have good definition and clarity, but only to a certain volume level. Beyond that, it fails.
If you like high speed driving with the windows down, then the overall volume is marginal. You'll still hear the music, but the overall definition gets lost in the roar of the wind. You'll then turn up the volume, and at that point you'll know that there just isn't enough power to hear the same level of clarity it had at lower volume levels with the windows up.

For me, that's disappointing, and shows the lack of proper amplification power. I've done audio systems in my cars and for friends and family.
Power IS necessary, not just to be loud and obnoxious, but to have enough power to turn it up and rock, while still maintaining good clarity at high speeds with the windows down, and even with the windows up when you just want to "rock it"!, with whatever music you are listening to. I like many kinds of music; jazz-smooth-bebop-freeform, rock, metal, alternative, classical, classical piano and guitar, electronic, hip-hop, etc...

Prior to 2011, the "base" system was the "mid level" world wide offering, which was 1 step below the top rated HK/logic 7.
I have this one in my 135i, and in comparison to the HK it has very good definition and good low depth, with just a bit less power.
In the previous years this mid-grade system was the better choice for someone not wanting to spend the outrageous upcharge for a system that didn't give much more clarity, just a bit more power that really isn't that much louder overall.

But, with the new 2011 base audio, this one really is "BASE" level.
It has 2 less very important drivers missing, namely the subs.
So, if you really want an audio system that approaches "acceptable" you'll have to splurge and pay the nearly $900 to get that, cause the new base system is a DISGRACE in a car costing this much money before an upcharge to get what should be the STANDARD included system. BMW stepped backwards in this area, and that just makes no damn sense what so ever. Hyundai base audio systems are better than this one. I just couldn't even believe that BMW would do this.
They now include the USB/iPod inputs, but they should have spent the money on just leaving the previous base system in the car, instead of upgrading the inputs and downgrading the base audio system.
Pure CRAP! BMW, you FAILED big time with this move.
Appreciate 0