06-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
Yes go to wallmart, or wherever you can find one, if its approved who the fuck cares where it comes from... Smug people will lead you away from simple solutions.
First of all, it's Wal-Mart, not wallmart, just like it's not overstearing or understearing, unless you are riding or blowing a cow, Dan. Is that what you do?(Apologies, it was low hanging fruit - literally)

Second, Wal-Mart once sold a Bell Zephyr helmet, years ago, and no longer do. They listed it as a bicycle helmet for ages 12 and up, if I recall. So, do not go to Wal-Mart. My suggestion about trying them on at a local speed shop is what experts recommend, because of help with proper fitment... Helmets are not just some regulation to try to get around, and slap a chunk of plastic on your melon just so that you can get out on the track. They can easily save your life if you get into trouble, or if some bozo around you gets into trouble.

So, YES I highly recommend not following Dan's "simple solution" when it comes to potentially cracking your head open. If "Oh Danny Boy" wants to hang it on the line, he can go for it.

Edit: That Bell Zephyr helmet that Wal-Mart used to sell years ago was DOT approved, not Snell M or SA rated, and would not be allowed as approved head protection with any club that I've ever heard of in the States. SCCA, BMW-CCA, PCA, NASA, etc... all require Snell, and specifically state that DOT only certification is not good enough.

Last edited by larryn; 06-23-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0