View Single Post
      05-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #127
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I believe I have solved the problem with my media adaptor. Based on the experience of Hybris4u I decided to examine the "USB to hub" cable (BMW part number 61119202749) in my car.

Name:  cable.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  21.2 KB

After removing the trim piece covering the back end of the center console I found the cable in question (or at least I think its the same cable). This cable emerges from the area of the snap in cradle in the arm rest (red arrows) and has a junction wrapped in foam (green arrow). The cable then continues downwards and to the right, diving underneath the carpet covering the transmission tunnel (blue arrow, red circle on zoomed image).

Name:  Main view.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  109.1 KB

I noticed the cable was pinched between the trim of the center console and the transmission tunnel where it dives underneath the carpet (not pictured - these images were taken afterwards). I gently freed the cable from its impinged position under the trim. I also double checked the connection wrapped in foam (green arrow) to make sure there was a solid connection.

Name:  Zoom.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  75.4 KB

After doing so, my media adaptor seems to work normally. As you can see from the pictures, there is not much room in this spot, and when they bolt down the center console in the factory, I suspect it is easy to pinch these cables if not paying close attention.

If anybody is suffering intermittent or constant media adaptor malfunctions, I suggest you take these simple steps and make sure your cable is not impinged by the center console trim.
Appreciate 0