View Single Post
      11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #26
mexglx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I drive my automatic transmission car in Sport mode all the time because the shift patterns around town match what I would do if I had a manual. As a result, my car asks for service more frequently because it thinks it is getting driven harder with the higher shift points (which it is on some occassions).
I know they are completely different engines and fuels and uses but extended oil drain intervals are nothing new in the comercial truck business. 15 liter diesels from our company have varying oil change intervals based on fuel burn. Severe duty or < 5.5 mpg = 15K intervals, 5.5-6.5 is considered normal duty with 25K intervals. Anything > 6.5 mpg is considered light duty and they can go 35k. If you use our "special" synthetic then 45k is a possibility.

I have customers who operate on 45,000 (Yes 45K) oil drain intervals. Most operate on around 25k. Different oils provide different capabilities. If you are really concerned you can always send your oil off to a lab for oil analysis and see what its doing. I truly believe that if you drive like miss daisy you can probably do the BMW recommended intervals w/o problems. But if you drive like me and its severe duty, you may want to do it sooner. Its not like its that expensive right? How much is a BMW oil change? Its $59 at VW for a synthetic Castrol with the catridge style filter.
Appreciate 0