10-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
notmisfit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
Congrats....looks like you did extensive homework. So, what did you think about the 370 and the G37?
Thank you - indeed I did do some homework.

370z: Much like the guy above said I was pretty impressed with it, honestly surprised me. The steering input and response was great, the feedback was fantastic. I could seeing having the Z as a 3rd car or something I drove 2-3 days a week but my goal with this purchase was get something I could drive unless I absolutely had to get in the Subaru and while I love the looks, it screamed "pull me over." As is well documented as well the Z is quite loud on the highway, sports car or not it tended to drone a bit cruising between the potenzas and the engine though it sounded great pulling through the power band. My Subaru wagon hits about 90 dB @ 85mph (just performance all seasons, stock exhaust, its mostly road/wind noise) and I have been over that for a while. BMW is maybe 73 dB at 90 mph. The Z I didn't even need to gauge past my ears even though "I had an "app" for that with me heh.

G37S: I think they look great in person (pictures make it look dull to me) but for me this was the most forgettable. It didn't have the power or speed of the Z, the handling was a bit more muted and while the interior was nice to me it wasn't as nice as the BMW. Not a big fan of brushed aluminum though. I will say they aren't just "370z's with a nicer interior." The backseat is pretty large and useable (made the dealer ride back there) and the car has a balanced feel about it but it just didn't stick. It wasn't a bad car it just didn't seem like a great car.

At the end of the day I wanted power, luxury, and practicality and while I won't admit it to myself... upgrade potential. The BMW was the most well rounded as well as the most solid driver's car of the bunch. Maybe it was the meaty M wheel, it just spoke to me. I've also been fortunate to love how the 135 looks as well. I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by notmisfit; 10-28-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0