07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Complete document:
Attachment 616990

But doesn't it, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act also state that the "aftermarket" part has to be of the same specs of the original part, a direct replacement. Any replacement outside the OEM specs CAN void warranty... right? I could be wrong...
Appreciate 0