Thread: Coding Success!
View Single Post
      06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #98
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I bought the same cable as DSCPLN and tried it for the first time last night. It comes with no instructions or software so I just plugged it up and tried the DIY 80+ step exercise. I got no "black circles" in INPA, the first opportunity to see the car and computer connect. I am pretty sure, after reviewing files at the onestopelectronics website that I should have installed a "VSP" driver for the cable. I plan to try that tonight.

My observation is that while people are being generous and providing us useful information they are not describing ALL the things they did to make this work. The cable has a digital to serial converter in it and the driver tells the computer what sort of signals are going to come in over it. I've spent hours looking at the "beginners lounge" at the other website and saw nothing on any of this. I suspect this will be first of several frustrations in this process but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I can afford to pay people to do this but prefer to do things myself. I'm not trying to be critical, just saying what my plans are.

Jim