View Single Post
      12-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #43
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

One of the things I use to do to help my old 1.8Ts (had to, Bug and Jeta) stay running happy even though all the other 1.8T's were spitting and crying was this.
Let the car warm up, depress the break as hard as you can and gunt he engine up to redline twice to three times once a week.
Funny thing would happen, the engine would run a little rough for a few seconds .... just a little cough or two and then she would run smooth as butter.

Before my last oil change from BMW jungle juice to the French Elf my mechanic uses I added a half a cup of chevron Techron to the oil. I’ve done this on the bikes to help clean the guts. Though in a bike is’ more like 1.4th of a cup. Worked very well on my very old VFR and my very abused GPZ. And did a number of times on the old 1.8T.

The more I think of this, the more we need to be 100% sure as to where this oil/carbon is coming from? Is it the crank case atmosphere? Is it blow back of some unburned fuel in the combustion chamber? Is it a simple issue of the ethanol that is being added to our gas?

Once a true root cause is determined then a true solution can be implemented. Till then boys, I’m sorry but we are just sticking out dicks into holes hoping we are in the right one.
Appreciate 0