02-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I was in Canadian Army stationed in Germany 1971-75. In one of the first pictures I recognize the gas jerry can; if it is authentic to WWII, we were still using them in the 70's. While on exercise somewhere, I found an authentic WWII German gas mask container. For a short time the spring which helped close the lid still worked. Still have it today altho it got painted a non-authentic color by someone in my workshop. Canadians used the Leopard tank and its variants. I attended the bridgelayer course in Kiel in 1978. Kiel has a submarine from the war, likely only the second left in existence. Chicago has the U-505 captured intact by the USN.
Again, many thanks for the pictures, I really enjoyed looking at them.
Very cool! Yeah... Stammheim has a lot of military stuff from a "few" Armies. Most of their stuff is German, but they also have a lot of "stuff" from the US Army and from the East German Army. This is because Stammheim is located close to Schweinfurt & Wurzburg(former US Army bases) and also the East German border was also close by in Meiningen.

Another cool thing about the Stammheim Museum is they accept donations of old military gear. Even something as simple as a unit patch... they really cherish that sort of thing. AND they put it all on display for everyone to see. A really nice thing.

Schweinfurt is also well known to WWII GI's because its home to the famous "ball bearing factory" that many a bombing raid sorties were flown. Schweinfurt is still home to SKF, ***, Sachs, and Bilstein to name just a few. In fact when the Germans built the A70 Autobahn in the 80's there... hey had a hard time blowing up what was left of some of the AA(anti aircraft guns) embankments still left there from WWII! Concrete only gets harder as the years pass.

A really cool website of WWII ruins is the Third Reich in Ruins. They are dedicated to the historical preservation of the WWII buildings and places. Its run by a US service member who is a bog time history buff!

www.thirdreichruins.com

here is a direct link to the Schweinfurt page...

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/schweinfurt.htm

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/wehrmacht_posts.htm
Appreciate 0