View Single Post
      07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Road and Track 2010 1 series pic

Link to article. (pic is a R&T rendering)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8227

Article excerpt;
What a tease. After our sneaky spy photographers captured the second-generation BMW 1 Series testing in Germany, in 5-door hatchback guise that's not currently available in the U.S., our initial thought was: "Hey, we're getting the hatchback version!"

Wrong. An inside source very quickly let the wind out of our sails by informing us of two things: 1) the new 1 Series won't be coming our way anytime soon (although it will go on sale in Europe in 2010) and 2) we shouldn't get our hopes up about a 3- or 5-door hatchback version making it to our shores.

So why would Europe get an all-new 1 Series, but not the U.S.? Because the 1 Series has already been on sale in Europe for six years, while it's only been on sale in the States for two. Figuring on BMW's normal practice of a seven-year product cycle, the test mule shown here (not the pic below) in vibrant camouflage is a totally reskinned 1 Series, most likely sporting thoroughly reworked suspension and refined engines.

Our source told us the U.S. 1 Series coupe and convertible aren't scheduled for a refresh until sometime in 2011, and even that will be fairly mild — count on new front and rear fascias, minor interior changes and mild suspension and engine tweaks, we were told. We'll have to wait until 2014 or so for before North America sees a truly all-new 1 Series. But don't count on the hatchback making the trip.

I'm not feeling it... no muscle, too tame. The side view reminds me of a 3 series wagon.
Attached Images

Last edited by M2; 07-29-2009 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0